RFID technology facilitates the automation of the supply chain and the identification of items quickly and easily in multiple sectors, avoiding failures or stock breakage. In order to use this technology we need to make use of RFID tags.
RFID tags contain a chip that stores product information and an antenna to transmit it. To read these tags we need an RFID reader, which reads the information from the tag and sends it to the data processing system.
At Bionix Technologies we have different devices to read RFID tags quickly and automatically. Do you want to know how the RFID tag work and what devices do we have for reading them?
RFID tags allow the encoding of a large amount of information on each individual product throughout the entire supply chain. RFID tags store data that allows the item to be traced from the raw material supplier to the arrival of the product at the point of sale.
Company employees can automatically check the information contained in RFID tags at any time and automatically thanks to RFID devices.
RFID tags facilitate stock management, replenishment and merchandise classification. In addition, thanks to our new Cixxonia Sustainability Fashion Platform functionality they facilitate transparency between company and client, since the customers can consult all the information regarding the product (origin, composition, care instructions, etc.) through the QR code on the RFID tag.
RFID tags features
The RFID tag is the core of any RFID system, selecting the appropriate tag for our product will be crucial for the correct operation of the system. There are different types of labels with different features and specifications.
There are three types or classes of RFID tags depending on whether or not they have a power source:
• Passive tags: they do not have their own power source but are activated with the energy of the external wave created by the antenna and the RFID reader. They are short-range tags, their reading range (0-15 meters away) is limited by the transmitted power necessary to make the chip activate. It is perhaps the most common type of label due to the dimensions in which it can be printed and its price.
• Active tags: they have their own power source which allows them to constantly transmit a signal and therefore have a higher reading range (up to 100 meters). It is the most expensive type of tag due to the cost of its battery and transmitter.
• Semi-active tags: this type of label, like passive labels, is activated by the signal received from the RFID reader, but unlike these they have a battery that powers the chip and allows it to store information and respond quickly. and safe. They have a higher reading range than passive labels but at the same time their cost is higher and their useful life is shorter due to the built-in battery.
Any type of tag has a chip and an antenna. The union of the RFID chip and the antenna, be it engraved, attached or printed, is what is called the RFID inlay.
|Passive tags||Active tags||Semi-active tags|
|Tag power source||Enery trasnfer from the reader via RF||Internal||Internal power source to power on, and energy transferred from the reader via RF to backscatter|
|Reading range||Low (up to 15 m)||High (up to 100 m or more)||Medium (up to 100 m)|
RFID tags can transmit at various frequencies, the most commonly used are the following:
• Ultra High Frequency (UHF): UHF systems cover a frequency range from 300 Mhz to 3 Ghz. RAIN RFID systems operate in the frequencies between the 860 Mhz to 960 Mhz range, complying with the UHF GS1 EPC Gen2 standard (ISO 18000-63). There are differences between regions, in Europe the use of a frequency of 868 Mhz has been standardized, while in the United States the standard is 915 Mhz (not allowed in Europe). The reading range can reach 12 meters or up to 100 meters on active tags, with fast data transmission. UHF RFID tags are the most economical with respect to the other frequencies, although they are very sensitive to interference caused by objects, buildings or infrastructures. The applications of UHF RFID tags are usually for sectors such as retail, logistics, healthcare and pharmaceutical industry for traceability, inventory, item location and records.
• High Frequency (HF): the frequency range of HF RFID tags goes from 3 Mhz to 30 Mhz. It commonly uses the 13.56 Mhz frequency, which is the one used by NFC systems. Its reading range goes from 10 cm to 1 m and its sensitivity to interference affects it moderately. This type of label is typically used for payment cards, tickets, and data transfer applications. There are several standards for HF RFID tags such as ECMA-340, ISO / IEC 18092, ISO / IEC 14443 A, ISO / IEC14443, and JIS X 6319-4.
• Low Frequency (LF): RFID LF tags cover the frequency range from 30 Khz to 300 Khz, although they normally operate on the 125 Khz or 134 Khz frequency. They have a short reading range, up to 10 cm, with a slow speed, but very well resistant to possible interferences. There are various standards such as ISO 14223 or ISO / IEC 18000-2. They are often used for access control and the identification and traceability of animals.
|Ultra High Frecuency (UHF)||High Frecuency (HF)||Low Frecuency (LF)|
|Frecuency range||From 300 Mhz to 3 Ghz 868 Mhz (EU) 915 Mhz (USA)||From 3 Mhz to 30 Mhz (13,56 Mhz standard)||From 30 Khz to 300 Khz (Normally 125 Khz or 134 Khz)|
|Reading range||Up to 12 meters (passive) Up to 100 meters (actives)||From 10 cm to 1 m||Up to 10 cm|
|Cost||Between 0,05 – 0,15€||Between 0,10 – 0,75€||Between 0,10 – 0,75€|
|Industries||Retail, Logistics, Health, Pharmaceutical||Banking, Leisure, Laundry||Industrial, Livestock, Laundry|
|Applications||Inventories, traceability, registration of pallets and containers, storage, location, anti-theft, entry and exit control||Payments, access, data transmission, monitoring, records||Access control, traceability, identification, assembly line management|
|Acceptance||EU / USA||Global||Global|
As we mentioned before, the selection of the appropriate RFID tag for the product and environment in which we are going to use it is essential. That is why there are different types of tags depending on their application. There are labels for metals, flexible, printable, for animals, washable, for the forestry industry, etc. each one adapted to the specifications of each sector.
At Bionix we have an internal laboratory to measure the performance of each RFID tag on the product itself. It is the first RFID test performance center in Spain. In our anechoic chamber we carry out measurements based on the TIPP (Tagged-Item Performance Protocol) standard, an international reference model, and we check if the chosen label is the one that offers the best performance for your product.
In this other post on our Blog you have all the information on how RFID technology works in different sectors, but how do we read those tags in the factory, logistics centers or in the point of sale?
RFID devices with which we can read RFID tags
At Bionix Technologies we have a wide range of RFID devices that adapt to the needs of your business and that will allow you to control all the critical points and identification needs of your supply chain, from the supplier to the store.
Each RFID device covers a specific application and has been designed to simplify installation and commissioning as much as possible. The objective of Bionix Technologies is to democratize the implementation of RFID in companies of any size. It is for this reason that all RFID devices are easy to install, use and maintain and adapt to the needs of each supply chain.
All our RFID devices are interconnected through our Cixxonia platform, which you can integrate with your company’s ERP system. In this way, you will be able to access all the data from any location and in real time to know the flow of your entire supply chain.
The RFID tunnel is a device specifically designed to read and identify a large number of RFID tags at the same time in logistics processes. Its main function is the verification of incoming and outgoing shipments in distribution centers and warehouses. It allows you to check in a matter of seconds, and without having to open the boxes, if the orders are correct.
It is a device adaptable to the demands of the supply chain and distribution center. At Bionix Technologies there are several options and variants to easily adapt the RFID tunnel device to the speed and automation needs of the logistics chain. There are a lot of possibilities and configuration parameters that make it the ideal equipment for checking articles.
The RFID tunnel is fully integrated with the Cixxonia platform, so that the information on all device operations is updated automatically and in real time, improving the control and management of the logistics chain.
The RFID portal has been designed for the identification and control of a large number of articles in transit areas such as loading docks, doors or movements within the warehouse in a precise way.
Its installation is very simple, fast and allows the total automation of the control of articles on pallets, hanging clothes or boxes with high flow, among others. Its robust design also allows easy installation and integration in all types of industrial environments.
The RFID portal is fully integrated with the Cixxonia platform, so that the information on all device operations is updated automatically and in real time, improving the control and management of the logistics chain.
RFID desktop device
The RFID desktop device allows multiple items in bags and boxes to be identified automatically. It is very useful for the preparation and verification of online orders and shipments to customers or stores.
The RFID desktop device is fully integrated with the Cixxonia platform, fulfilling the same functionalities of the RFID portal.
RFID handheld device
RFID handheld devices are the ideal complement for agile and efficient stock management in the warehouse and store. They have been designed to simplify their use as much as possible and offer unique technical characteristics in terms of ergonomics, battery life, reliability and handling.
This device allows to carry out inventories, inputs or outputs of merchandise, locate items, count merchandise, identify products, recode tags, transfers between centers, movements between areas and facilitates the replenishment on the sales surface.
The handheld device has our Scanppy application installed and is fully integrated with the Cixxonia platform, so that the information on all device operations is automatically updated in real time, improving control and management of the logistics chain.
Do you want to know how these applications work? You have all the information in our post about how to automate inventory management.
RFID point of sale device
The RFID point of sale device automatically identifies the items that the customer is going to buy, thus speeding up the sale, reducing waiting times and improving the user experience in the store.
This device can be integrated into a table or at the sales counter and is connected to the store’s POS system in order to carry out the sale. It is easy to install and does not require maintenance.
Xinoid RFID reader
The Xinoid RFID reader is the heart of the Bionix system. We design, develop and manufacture our own readers to be able to customize applications and always offer the best solution to each problem.
With the Xinoid RFID reader, any integrator or programmer can access a totally open ecosystem of applications, to develop their specific needs or integrate with the system of their choice. It is the ideal platform for the development of RFID applications in all types of sectors and supply chains.
The RFID cabinet from Bionix Technologies is a system for inventory management with access control based on RFID technology.
The advantages of the RFID cabinet are that it allows total control of high-cost, expendable materials or with high traceability requirements, such as healthcare or pharmaceuticals. It allows to control the expiration dates of products, the inventory and the identification in real time of the entire flow of the materials, from when they arrive at the hospital until they are implanted in a patient.
The RFID cabinet installation has a quick return on investment by dramatically reducing the time spent on inventory and expiry control, improving hospital management in general. It has a fast as well as simple integration with the hospital management systems.
At Bionix Technologies we have multiple solutions created for the different needs by sectors and individually adapted to our clients. Do you want to know everything about our devices? Enter our website!
And do not hesitate to contact us, at Bionix Technologies we have the best RFID solutions for your company and we adapt to your needs. Start automating your supply chain!
– Sales Development Representative and Head of Marketing –
Bussiness development manager- analyzing and searching opportunities and prospects-. Some of her duties are: desing, planning and executing marketing and communication compaigns. She is also involve in action plans focused on managing events and she gives support to the sales team.